Saturday, October 25, 2008

Europe and beyond

I can now claim Switzerland, France, and Italy as three of the countries I've visited in my lifetime.

It feels very surreal, almost as if I didn't even go. I have photos to prove that I did; I have memories to remind myself of all the fun we had.

The rail system in Europe is beyond amazing. I found myself wishing that the U.S. could boast such a superb system of transportation. But, I suppose our country is far too expansive for something like that to work well.

Speaking French to native French speakers is thrilling! If I ever live abroad for a while, I've resolved that I will live in France, preferably somewhere in the Loire Valley.

The women confidently wear high heels and short skirts while riding their bicycles. The men dress so sharply it makes American men look pretty ridiculous.

When we arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport, Karen and I ran into my grandpa and his wife. Huh??? What are the chances? Seriously now.

Europe's over now, and here's my current state of affairs:

I miss the French countryside.
I have over $800 on my credit card. Pay it off, pay it off!!
I'm living in Ballard, with six amazing girls.
I'm waiting to hear from the UW: have I been accepted to their MIT program or not?
I'm still working the monotonous 8-1 job at World Vision.
I feel more content and peaceful than I have in a long time, and yet there's still a certain restlessness.

No comments: