Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The French Riviera and that long-dreamed-about Mediterranean Sea

Karen and I are still alive! Internet cafes have been few and far between until now. Either that, or they were extremely expensive (6-9 euros per hour, which is about 10-15 dollars an hour). This one is only 2 euros per hour. Score!!! Tonight, we're staying at a hostel here in Nice, and there's a man in our room who's from Sydney, Australia! How awesome is that? He asked me how the election in the U.S. is going, and I didn't have much to tell him, aside from all the hype about Sarah Palin. :P

(Oh, random side note. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm sick and tired of eating bread!!! We've been buying bread and fruit for lunch and breakfast to save money. Now every time Karen and I see bread, we feel like puking. Haha.)

We've been traveling by train for the past few days now, speeding down to Marseilles, Nice, and the French Riviera. Needless to say, we're sick of traveling by train, although it has been nice to see the French countryside. Last night, we stayed in Marseilles, but were kind of creeped out by the hostel. We felt like we were in a mental asylum or something. Not fun. And then, we walked block after block in search of food and finally found a tiny pizzeria. The man cooked the pizzas right in front of us, after we deliberated for about twenty minutes over what kind of pizza we wanted. It didn't help that he spoke zero English. Well, he spoke SOME English. He was telling us that he knows "I love you, baby," "fish," and "one two three...". We were cracking up as he said these words with his heavy French accent. It was awesome. Oh, and the pizza was divine. Not much on it, but probably one of the best pizzas I've ever tasted. Mmmm mmmm.

We got up this morning and decided to take a train to Nice, which took us 2 1/2 hours. Now we're in Nice, and it's beautiful and sunny and everything we expected it to be. In a few minutes, we're going to walk to Vieux Nice (Old Town Nice) and explore the boutiques and eat some amazing food (it's supposed to be phenomenal here). From Vieux Nice, we're going to hike up the nearby mountain thingamajigger to see views of the Mediterranean. I have wanted to see the Mediterranean for years, and now I'm finally here!!!

Why am I sitting at a computer?

Bye for now,

Monica

No comments: