Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What to do?

Here's my dilemma. Before he and I talked about becoming romantically involved, we were just really close friends. I enjoyed the camaraderie and the playful fun we had at each other's expense. I also really valued the meaningful talks we had about God, life, our respective futures, etc.
A lot of that lightheartedness was lost when we added the "should we date or not" question. Suddenly, everything became a lot more complicated, and stress, worry, and rapidly increasing affection for him built up until I could hardly see straight. This was no longer a simple friendship. Embarrassment, awkwardness, and confusion were now present, and it was difficult for me to relate to him in the same way. At the same time, I was incredibly excited at the thought of being his girlfriend. All of these feelings--excitement, confusion, restlessness, concern, etc.--continued through the school year (since our relationship was in a sort of limbo for months on end), and only just started dissipating a few weeks ago.
For the first time in a year, I experience feelings of calm, assurance, and--just today--contentedness when I think of him. I've come to realize that I don't want anything more than a friendship with him, due to various reasons having to do with incompatability, maturity level, and disapproval of habits. I only want to be his friend, to experience that old camaraderie without the heart-wrenching complication of romance.
However, we are technically ex-boyfriend and girlfriend. I say technically, because the time we were together was so short and inconsequential it should hardly be considered a relationship at all. Yet, the fact that we were together at all somewhat inhibits things, at least from my end. Once I've had feelings for a guy and acted on them in any way, even for a short time, it's incredibly difficult for me to take a step backward and resume a non-romantic, casual friendship. A few months ago, I would have said that my love for him was what prevented me from doing that, but now I realize that is not true at all. I love him dearly, but if romantic feelings for him were entirely absent, I could easily remain friends with him and nothing more, despite the fact that I love him. I just wouldn't like him like that. Oh how I wish that were true.
But I see no way to accomplish that. His smile will always make my knees weak at least a little, his laugh will always enchant me, and his touch, however slight, will never cease to send shivers down my spine. That's just the way it is. The most I can do is pray unceasingly that God will free me of my feelings for him.

No comments: