Friday, September 14, 2007

I think I want kids right this very second... well, not quite

The little boy bobbed and flailed his way through the warm water of the pool, enjoying the buoyancy his lifejacket afforded him. Periodically, he would call out to his dad, a dark-complexioned forty-something reclining a few chairs away from me.

"Daddy, watch this!"
"Daddy, come into the pool with me!"
"Daddy, I'm cold!"

He swam to the edge of the pool, and his pudgy hands clung to the concrete sides.

"Daddy, I love you so, so much." There was an unabashed honesty in this simple expression of love that was a little astounding to hear from one so young (he couldn't have been more than four years old).

"I love you so, so much, buddy."

"Daddy, I love you so, so, SO much!" His voice escalated in intensity, and he smiled at his dad.

"And I love YOU so, so, SO much," his dad replied.

"I like it when you take care of me." At this statement, the little boy seemed a bit more hesitant.

His dad chuckled, clearly amused but touched by his son's declarations. "Well, I love taking care of you, buddy."

At this point, I couldn't suppress the wide grin that had been inching its way onto my face. This was just too darn cute.

Seconds later, the little boy pushed away from the wall and resumed splashing and playing in the water.

No comments: