Sunday, April 27, 2008

I'm giddy when I dance

I have days where all I want to do is dance. Can I please just take ballet again? Please???

I quit taking lessons when I was thirteen. My teacher was practically asking me to devote the rest of my life to being a dancer. I have a bunch of other things I'd like to devote my life to, thank you very much, and besides, squishing my toes into pink concrete shoes isn't exactly my idea of a lifelong hobby.



I love to tiptoe along curbs and anything else that allows me to use all those muscles ballet used to require. I love to flit from room to room, pretending that I am on stage performing in Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty--those two ballets are the best EVER!

Dance movies just kill me. I watch them, and as the credits roll, I proceed to leap up and twirl around the room, sometimes with acquiescing roommates, sometimes watched by unbelieving eyes. Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. Granted, not the best movie in the world, but oh my WORD did it get me moving!




Step Up. Another not-so-great movie, but the dancing... that mixture of hip-hop and ballet just takes my breath away.


And An American in Paris. Now THAT is a good movie. And it has some of the most tender dancing scenes I've ever seen.


No comments: